Celebrate National Taco Day this year with a twist on traditional tacos from Chaka restaurant at the AAA Five Diamond Grand Velas Riviera Maya. At the Yucatecan restaurant, which serves a menu inspired by the region’s traditional cuisine, Octopus (pulpo) tacos are served “Ajillo” style with nopales (cactus) and crispy potato on Guajillo-flavored tortillas.
If you can’t make it to Riviera Maya to Mexico’s Foodie Resort for Taco Day, try the recipe below for an easier make-at-home version on traditional corn tortillas found at every grocery store.
- 1 lb Octopus*
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1.5 cups onion, sliced
- 4.5 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup leeks, chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup Guajillo chilies, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 cup lime juice
- black pepper
- corn tortillas
- Place octopus*, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, leeks, salt, and black pepper in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool, drain and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium pan, sauté the remaining garlic, remaining onion and guajillo chili in the butter and vegetable oil until fragrant. Add the octopus, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top tortilla with octopus mixture and Enjoy!
* Fresh octopus is preferred however canned octopus can be used if fresh is not available.